The Lender Network provides a platform for lending professionals to discuss industry topics and share best practices.
Topic suggestions are provided by network members to ensure each event provides the highest value.
Presentation: Real Estate Finance: What Lenders Should Know About Title and Survey, Mortgage Amendments, and Trusts as Loan Parties
This presentation will answer commonly asked questions about title insurance and surveys, and why those items are necessary for credit facilities that are secured by real estate. We will also discuss issues for lenders to keep in mind when modifying the loan or amending the loan documents after a mortgage has been recorded. In addition, trusts are common loan parties in real estate finance transactions. We will provide practical tips for lenders when dealing with trusts, such as the need for trust certificates vs. trust agreements, and signature block issues.
- Understand the role and importance of title insurance and surveys in commercial loan transactions secured by real estate.
- Identify the issues that need to be considered when modifying a commercial loan that is secured by real estate.
- Practical tips and issues to consider when dealing with trusts as borrowers or guarantors.
About the Presenters:
Jamie Erickson has extensive experience representing national and local lenders and borrowers with complex commercial financings.
She focuses her practice on real estate finance, including multi-family housing projects, construction loans, ground lease financing, hotel projects, health care facilities, and agricultural lending. She negotiates and documents secured and unsecured lending transactions, for both single-bank and syndicated credit facilities. Her recent relevant experience includes:
- Represented lender in a $19,000,000 hotel construction project located in an Opportunity Zone
- Represented lender in a $41,000,000 refinancing of an apartment complex
- Represented lender in a $72,000,000 ground lease financing of a hotel
- Represented lender in the construction of a $13,000,000 assisted-living facility
- Represented lender in the construction of a $8,000,000 solar project
- Represented a syndicated lender in a $267,000,000 financing of various hotels located in seven states
- Represented a participant lender in a $87,000,000 financing to a hospitality borrower
- Represented a private lender in the preparation of their form loan documents
Jamie is committed to learning the business of her clients and using that knowledge to efficiently and effectively meet her client's objectives. Before obtaining her Juris Doctor in 2015, Jamie was a finance paralegal. Licensed in Minnesota and Arizona.
Ben Kajer represents all types of lenders and borrowers in complex financing facilities and structured lending transactions, including: Commercial real estate lending. Borrower-side real estate financing. Asset-based lending. Traditional commercial lending. Mezzanine finance. Unsecured lending. Real estate acquisition and development.
Ben structures, negotiates and documents a variety of finance transactions on behalf of mezzanine debt investors, banks and other financial institutions. He concentrates a significant amount of his practice on the representation of banks and other financial institutions in connection with senior and subordinate credit facilities, construction loans and other asset-based loans. He likewise dedicates a substantial amount of his practice towards representing borrowers in connection with acquiring and financing real property. Ben’s representation of borrowers in the commercial real estate context spans a broad spectrum of general real estate uses, including commercial, industrial, residential, multi-family and mixed-use developments.
He also represents mezzanine and junior capital funds in subordinated debt and equity investment transactions, as well as borrowers in connection with working capital and other secured and unsecured financing arrangements. Prior to joining the firm, Ben worked as a legal intern with the Minnesota Vikings and as a public policy intern for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota. While in law school, he earned the Dean’s awards in Accounting for Lawyers and Real Estate Transactions.
Pricing: Complimentary for Bank Members only