Digital Currency 101: A Crypto Class for the Rest of Us
September 28, 2022 | 10:00 am - 2:00 pm CST
Bank Members | $199 for first banker - $55 for additional bankers from same bank
Do you tense up when people use terms like blockchain and distributed ledger? Are you quietly bewildered by the idea that a single Bitcoin could be worth tens of thousands of dollars? Would you have trouble explaining the difference between the CDC and a CBDC? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, this session is for you. Join us for a non-technical (but fully financial) explanation of what digital currencies are, how they work, and what all the fuss is about.
This session will give bankers a basic understanding of cryptocurrency topics, including:
- Do cryptocurrencies really have value?
- What is Bitcoin?
- How do Bitcoin processing and mining work?
- What are some other popular digital currencies and how are they different from Bitcoin?
- What are stablecoins and how do they hold their value?
- What is the difference between a stablecoin and a tokenized deposit?
- What is a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) and what would a U.S. version look like?
- What can I do to help my bank prepare for the proliferation of cryptocurrencies?
10:00 – 10:15 The Nature of Money
10:15 – 11:00 Bitcoin
11:00 – 11:15 Break
11:15 – 11:30 Ethereum and Other Altcoins
11:30 – 11:45 Stablecoins
11:45 – 12:00 Tokenized Deposits
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
1:00 – 1:30 Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs)
1:30 – 2:00 Discussion: The Future of Crypto in Financial Services
Kevin Moland, AAP, Product Strategist, Senior Advisory, Jack Henry Payments Strategy
Questions? Contact Patti Coles at Patti@Minnesota.Bank or (651) 789-3987